Thursday, November 1, 2012

Trim Healthy Mama ~Day 1~


Alright today is day 1 of the Trim Healthy Mama Diet. I am ready to hit the ground running this morning and started off my day by weighing myself. I don't usually weigh myself while pregnant, but in the name of science (lol!) I gave it a go this morning. I am just starting my 7th month of pregnancy and have gained 10lbs. That wouldn't be so bad except I have been gaining 2lbs a week for the last 5 weeks. That is crazy! My goal for this new diet is to slow my weight gain back to the recommended amount of 0-2lbs for the month. I will weigh myself at the end of the 30 days and see how I did.

Breakfast
We started off this morning with fried eggs, sauteed zucchini and almond milk.  Okay lets just stop right here and say I have never had a fried egg or almond milk in my life. We are talking major "trying new things" this morning. I am giving this my all though so I went into it with an open mind. I even followed the suggestion to add nutritional yeast to the egg and zucchini. *Well I don't HAVE nutritional yeast but I do have Brewer's yeast so we went with that. It is still full of B vitamins and I can't taste any bitterness when it is on food.*

The eggs and the zucchini were both really good. My oldest daughter loves to cook and wanted to try a fried egg as well....I was skeptical at how she would handle the runny center but she loved it and ate the center out of the egg before she touched the white.

The almond milk was really a lot different from cow's milk (Cow's milk is off limits during the plan as it is a liquid carb and spikes blood sugar). It was like drinking a melted milk shake, with just a hint of a nutty flavor at the end. With more calcium than cow's milk and a sweetness to it I don't see any problem with making the switch.

The other switch we made was going from "normal eggs" to organic, cage free, omega 3 eggs. These puppies are more than double the price at $3.99 a dozen. Talk about a moment of sticker shock. The more I think about it though it really isn't THAT bad. I mean I could spend $3.99 on a cut of meat or a bag of chips and not think twice about it. Why is it when I spend that much on eggs it bothers me? Honestly just looking at these eggs makes me feel healthier. They are all brown and spotted with thicker shells. They also had the most omega 3's of any of the eggs in the store. Since I am building a little brain, and feeding 5 little growing brains I figure it is worth the extra few dollars for a dozen eggs.


Lunch
Okay today's lunch is the Waldorf cottage cheese salad.

This salad was huge and had a bit of everything in it. Sweet, salty, crunchy, soft. My jaw was actually tired of chewing by the time I got to the end of the bowl.

I am really a "can take it or leave it" type of person when it comes to salad and unfortunately this was no different for me. It was sort of middle of the road for me. I wouldn't kill my mother to eat it again but I didn't have to force myself to eat it either. As of typing this it is three hours later and I am still full so it did it's job.

Dinner
For tonight's dinner we had the creamy chicken with steamed broccoli.

The chicken was a serious hit. I only made 1lb because that is all my family normally eats. Bad calculation on my part, they cleaned the platter and I was lucky there wasn't a riot when it was gone. Trouble is I was counting on some of that chicken to be leftover for my lunch tomorrow. So I will be scrambling to find something else for lunch for myself tomorrow.

I just have to say I don't like broccoli. It has no appeal to me at all. This broccoli? Yeah I take it back, this broccoli is killer. I mean come on...I get to cover it in butter and Parmesan cheese? I am so there!

The entire meal felt crazy decadent when in reality there was only 3 Tbsp of butter for an entire bag of broccoli, a cup-ish of Parmesan cheese, and a block of fat free cream cheese for the chicken. It is amazing how when you have been denied something like butter and cheese for so long it can feel so decadent to add it back in.


3 comments on "Trim Healthy Mama ~Day 1~ "

*Mirage* on November 11, 2012 at 12:29 AM said...

I always thought brewers yeast WAS the same as nutritional yeast! *scratches head* What on earth is it then?

Unknown on November 11, 2012 at 12:10 PM said...

Brewer's yeast is the by product of the beer brewing process and can be a bit bitter. Nutritional yeast is cultivated specifically as nutritional yeast. It has a slightly cheesy taste to it. The only difference I can find nutritionally is that Nutritional yeast has vitamin B12 while brewer's yeast does not.

Kristine on November 16, 2012 at 3:55 PM said...

I need that recipe for the creamy chicken and broccoli! That looks so yummy!!! Oh....I've been following your blog for a few years now but hadn't checked it out for a few months. Oringinally I found the link off of the LLNOE message board. Looking to make a recipe book now and try the only shop twice a month thing now.

 

One Mama's Journey Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez