Friday, October 5, 2012

Homemade Cheddar Cheese Crackers


My oldest daughter is obsessed with cheddar cheese crackers, the kid can eat a entire box in one sitting if I let her. Since we are in the process of cutting out all processed and pre-packaged items from our diet I needed to come up with an alternative for her.

Homemade Cheddar Cheese Crackers are our snack today!

all-purpose flour $0.48
3/4 tsp. salt $0.01
butter $0.79
8 ounces grated cheddar cheese $1.00 

Total for Crackers: $2.28 or $0.45 per kid

I like that I can make up the dough for these crackers before hand and store for later use. Half the fun of these crackers is that my daughter gets to pick out the different shaped cookie cutters to use. She loves getting to cook with mama but making this recipe from start to finish right after they walk in the door from school and are hungry doesn't work well. This way she gets to be involved and gets a quick snack at the same time.


The dough was REALLY hard to work with once it came out of the fridge. I think next time I will roll the dough out flat and then put it  in the fridge to harden back up. Our crackers were thicker than they should have been since it was so hard to roll the dough out, and as a result are poofy and not crisp at all. They are good however and they will probably be eaten all this afternoon. 


0 comments on "Homemade Cheddar Cheese Crackers"

 

One Mama's Journey Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez