Friday, October 26, 2012

Homemade Bagels


I just got done writing a post about how much my children love waffles....now you are lucky enough to get a post about how much my children love bagels. Seeing a theme here? They are their mothers children and know a good carb filled breakfast when they see one. I am also slightly obsessed with bagels at the moment myself.

I have been buying our bagels in bulk and freezing them so that they last the entire month. A friend of mine however has been making homemade bagels and I thought I would give it a peak to see how hard it would be to do myself. Turns out it is seriously easy, and MUCH cheaper to make you own.

12 mini bagles from the grocery store: $2.22
12 mini bagels made from scratch: $0.76

Kind of a "what was I thinking" moment for me! So we are gonna give making homemade bagels a shot!

Homemade Bagels
  • 1 1/4 cups milk ($0.18)
  • 1 tsp Active dry yeast ($0.02)
  • 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar ($0.01)
  • 1/4 cup oil ($0.09)
  • 2 Tbsp sugar ($0.08)
  • 1 tsp salt ($0.01)
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder ($0.04)
  • 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour ($0.33)
Directions:

  1. Preheat over to 425.
  2. Warm milk to almost boiling. Add yeast and let dissolve.
  3. In a large bowl, add sugar, salt, baking powder and flour. Mix well.
  4. Add vinegar and oil to milk/ yeast. 
  5. Add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
  6. After mixed, separate dough into 12 small balls.
  7. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats.
  8. Slightly flatten circles and poke hole through the center. Lay on baking sheet.
  9. Cook for 20-25 min. Until bagel is light golder brown.

0 comments on "Homemade Bagels"

 

One Mama's Journey Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez