Sunday, March 17, 2013

Fed up with chemical filled products.


It seems that we have been hit with a outbreak of rashes at my house. All due to the chemicals in the products we have been using.

I am allergic to the dial soap in our hand wash dispensers
My husband is allergic to our laundry soap
My 8 yr old is allergic to her body wash

I am irritated in more ways than one! I have had ENOUGH we are DONE with the chemical filled products!

However we are still a larger than normal family and have to do these things on a budget. So we are starting small and working our way up to clearing all the chemicals out of our house.

First up is replacing our shampoo and conditioners since we have used up our entire stockpile as of this month. We decided to go with the Kiss My Face shampoos and conditioners. I have ordered them off of amazon and I can't wait to see how they work!

We plan to buy some organic bar soap, probably the Kiss My Face olive oil bars, to use in the showers instead of body wash. I am planning to take some of my old washcloths and make these cute little bar pouches to help the girls get a good lather when they are in the shower. I am also loving the fact that they can no longer knock over the bottles of body wash and literally pour them down the drain.

Toothpaste is a harder one. I have yet to find a natural toothpaste that isn't nasty.... If you know of one please let me know!

As for our dishwasher detergent and laundry soap we plan to make them from scratch with natural ingredients. I will have to make two different laundry soaps one for normal laundry and one for our cloth diapers.

I have set up a page here on my blog with all of the homemade cleaners and detergent  recipes I have found after hours of research. All the recipes for the products I am making can be found here.

Wish us luck this should be an interesting adventure!

3 comments on "Fed up with chemical filled products."

Kristine on March 18, 2013 at 11:19 AM said...

Have you tried Toms Of Main Silly Strawberry toothpaste??? I buy it for my kids. They hated regular toothpate because the mint flavor was to hot tasting. I started buying Tom's a few years ago and they love it. It is in the natural foods section at the grocery store but I also buy it off amazon when they have good prices. Of course I stock up when deals hit!

Kristine on March 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM said...

Have you tried Tom's of Main Silly Strawberry toothpaste yet? I started buying it for my kids a few years ago because they hated the "hot" taste of mint flavored toothpaste. It is found in the natural food section of the grocery store but I also buy it off amazon. Bonus - it is all white so no nasty blue/green marks in the sink!

http://www.amazon.com/Toms-Maine-Anticavity-Toothpaste-Strawberry/dp/B0044XBQ98/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363619829&sr=8-1&keywords=toms+of+main+strawberry

Unknown on March 18, 2013 at 11:03 PM said...

Toms of Maine Strawberry Toothpaste is my kids favorite. I'm currently waiting on an order of OraWellness Brushing Blend to come through! We LOVE Kiss my Face products! Orange is our favorite. For hand soaps, go local, through Etsy, or just buy plain old Dr. Bronner's Bar Soap. I use the Dr. Bronners Castile Soap for my body wash. Castile soap is the most effective hand washing soap anyway so double-win. I make my own laundry soap with fels naptha, borax and super washing soda. But there are lots of great natural options out there!! You just have to try a couple out to see what your favorites are!

 

One Mama's Journey Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez