Monday, December 22, 2008

Homemade Bread



In an effort to cut down our grocery budget (spent $1,100 last month) and eat healthier we are trying to cut out all the processed foods in our diet. I finally got up the nerve to make homemade bread again after having some disastrous results in the past. The loaf I made tonight actually LOOKS like bread so we are already ahead of the game. I haven't tried it yet since it is supposed to cool completely before you slice it. It is kind of on the small side...maybe it is because I only kneaded it for about 4min instead of 10 but my arms were tired! We shall see how it tastes :D Not sure what the cost comparison is for making it at home versus buying it in the store...Since it only took 2c of flour and a little yeast/milk/butter I would think I could make quite a few loafs for the amount I usually pay for one pre-made in the store. The question will be if I can get my hubby and kids to eat it without complaining that it doesn't look like what they are used to. My next loaf will be whole wheat...that should be interesting!
My next baking project will be to make homemade "Pop-Tarts" the girls love them but they are so expensive when you eat them at the rate my kids do (about 1box per 2 days). They seem simple to make the most complicated part will be making my own pie crust, never tried that before but it can't be as hard as making bread!

3 comments on "Homemade Bread"

bre on December 23, 2008 at 12:01 AM said...

I've made bread before. The more you knead it, the more tender the bread, so don't be surprised if it is a little chewy.

Whole wheat is harder to make I think.

I could never get my family to prefer it over grocery store bread, but I think that is because it went stale so fast :(

Way to go girl!!!
Let us know

Unknown on December 23, 2008 at 12:52 AM said...

It was really good! The girls were begging for more, even Sara who hates all things bread related. Bry even liked it! Although he did have to snicker when I said we were going to cut out all grocery bread he said "what are you going to make sandwiches with THAT?" meaning it was too small, but I will get that that fixed!

bre on December 23, 2008 at 9:13 AM said...

LOL! I am sure you can get it bigger, just get a really good bread pan.

I want to learn how to make pita bread and tortillas.

We buy very little processed food, but I would love to be able to make more stuff :D

 

One Mama's Journey Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez