Saturday, March 29, 2014

Green Smoothie: Mixed Fruit


My husband asked me last week to start buying him more salad items and less packaged junk food. I was more than willing to comply with his request, after all a  container of spinach is a lot cheaper and healthier then hot dogs and frozen pizza. Week one went well and he seemed to enjoy his spinach salads and managed to eat the entire container of spinach during the week. So with that in mind I again bought a giant container. It is now the end of the week and so far the container was still sealed. Seems he only had a week of salads in him. So since we being conscious of our food waste there is no way I am letting that spinach go to waste. I can't even tell you how many containers and bags of salad greens I have thrown away recently! So I decided the easiest way to use up the spinach was to make some smoothies out of it. 

I normally have a chocolate protein shake in the mornings because I am just too lazy to chew that early in the morning. I however am almost out of protein powder and it is $15 per container....so really a spinach smoothie in the morning was for the best all the way around. I could for sure use more vegetables and fruit in my diet (couldn't we all?!). I did some quick searching for recipes and there really didn't seem to be any hard and fast rules. Just dump in some spinach and some fruit and thin it out with water  till it gets to the consistency you want. Easy peasy.

I chose to use mixed fruit in this smoothie because that is what I had in the freezer. So here you go....

Green Smoothie: Mixed Fruit


2 cups baby spinach
1.5 cups mixed fruit (strawberries, cantaloupe, honeydew, grapes, and pineapple)
1-2 cups of water

Add all the ingredients to the blender and while on high dribble in water till your smoothie gets to the consistency you like.


This recipe made about 4 cups of green smoothie. You could share with someone if you like. I however am used to having a 4 cup smoothie every morning so I drank the whole thing myself. Well to be honest I offered a taste to my husband and my 4 yr old (the only ones willing to try my strange concoction). My 4 year old wasn't interested in more than a sip and my husband said it tasted "green and wet". I guess I don't have to worry about anyone stealing my drink like I do with my chocolate smoothies!  Honestly I liked it but it takes a lot to get my family to over look the fact that there is spinach in it.

0 comments on "Green Smoothie: Mixed Fruit"

 

One Mama's Journey Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez