Sunday, December 2, 2012

Freezer meals: The Notes


Now that all the freezer cooking is over I thought I would add a few notes.

There should have been 2 more recipes made based on my planning. The Pork Roast with Veggies had to be removed from the plan when I opened the package of pork roasts and got hit in the face with the smell of rot. They were so bad! They got thrown straight into the trash and the meal removed from the plan.

There also should have been a cilantro lime chicken tacos prepared...but I forgot to buy the cilantro for the pesto. I am  too tired to go back to the store for a 4th time so I took the chicken dish off the list as well.

Here are the recipes for those who would like to make them:
 
Pork Roast and Veggies
1 lb Pork Roast, cut into 1/2 inch strips
1 Onion, chopped
1 Green Bell Pepper, sliced
4 Carrots, sliced
½ pound Fresh Mushrooms, sliced
1 8oz can Tomato Sauce
1.5 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
Combine ingredients in a large ziptop bag, freeze. Serve with rice


Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos
cooking spray for sauteing
2-3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in bite sized pieces
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup cilantro lime pesto (recipe follows)
flour or corn tortillas
preferred taco garnishes (salsa, sour cream, cheese, etc)


Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder. In a skillet sprayed with cooking spray, saute chicken over medium high heat and cooked through. Toss cooked, seasoned chicken with the pesto. Fill tortillas with chicken and top with preferred garnishes.
* To make ahead/freezer meal - Cook chicken as directed as above and cool. Place chicken in freezer bag. Prepare cilantro lime pesto as directed below. Place a 1/2 cup of pesto in a small storage bag then place inside the freezer bag with the chicken. Freeze. When ready to prepare, defrost and heat chicken. Toss chicken with defrosted pesto. If desired, heat chicken and pesto together before filling tacos.



Cilantro Lime Pesto
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves (do not include stems)
2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons sliced, toasted almonds
3 tablespoons chopped, fresh garlic
1 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 cup shredded asiago (Parmesan or Romano can be substituted too)
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup chicken broth


Using a blender, mix together the cilantro, olive oil, almonds, garlic, lime juice, asiago, salt and chicken broth on low speed for 2 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Also there were several recipes that I felt were not in proportion for the meal. Like 5 bell peppers for 1 lb of BBQ chicken...just a little much! I altered the recipes as I went and published the altered recipes here. However the grocery list has NOT been altered. So if you are planning on making the same recipes I suggest making your own grocery list off of the recipes not what I have listed on my grocery list. 

Once I had all of my food cooked I went through all of my remaining vegetables and chopped them up for the freezer. They will be good for soups, stews, stir fry's, and such. I also froze all of the remaining cheeses to have for toppings for the meals as I prepare them. 

Here is my 8 cubic foot freezer. It was totally empty three days ago now it is full to the very top! Makes me happy! The power better not go out is all I have to say!

1 comments on "Freezer meals: The Notes"

Sweetproserpina on December 11, 2012 at 11:11 AM said...

Just wanted to say 'Thank you!!" for posting your freezer cooking extravaganza :) I'm due in early march and after the holidays I want to get my freezer stocked for after the little one arrives.. I really love that almost all of these are crockpot meals, makes the dinner time rush hour so much easier!

 

One Mama's Journey Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez