Wednesday, March 25, 2015

My Father's World Kindergarten: Creation Week


We are officially starting our My Father's World (MFW) Kindergarten curriculum! Our twins are 5 years old and have been working their way through Horizon's Pre-k workbooks for the last few months. We are getting to the point where they are ready to start reading so we are super excited to start kindergarten work. I have read countless reviews from other parents that stress how gentle an approach MFW takes in teaching little ones to read. Since we are switching our older girls to MFW Exploring Countries and Cultures (ECC) this fall it seemed like a natural fit to change the twins over from Horizon's to My Father's World as well.

I began by buying the Kindergarten teacher's manual, student sheets, literature pack, and manipulative items. I was lucky enough to find a used deluxe kindergarten set, with student sheets, on a MFW facebook swap page for $165. I then added the student sheets for $47 and the literature package for $131. That is a total of $454 for a savings of $124.





I could have been truly frugal and used the library for our literature books, we however are moving to the family farm for the Spring/Summer and the library is quite a ways away. It was simpler for my mommy stress levels to just purchase the books.



I spent one evening putting my student sheets together and paper clipping each individual child's weekly sheets together. I purchased a 3 inch binder and 26  tabbed dividers with pockets. After I had all of the student sheets put together I put each weeks sheets into the correct divider pocket.


I might have needed a 5 inch binder!



 I also purchased a velcro closured and expandable folder for all of the smaller cards that were included in the student sheets.



We started off our kindergarten exploration with the Creation Unit. I had intentions of doing a themed snack for each day of Creation....but with all of the History and Science projects going on as well as preparing for our relocation for the Spring/Summer....well you know how it goes!

We did have chocolate and vanilla pudding to represent the Light and Darkness in the first day of Creation. Okay....maybe I ran out of Cocoa powder and it was just Light represented....hey it is the thought that counts!

I did manage to get my act together to do a themed snack for the fifth day of Creation.


This was a very cute and very simple snack to put together. First bring 4 cups of clear juice to a boil. Meanwhile add 4 packages of Gelatine to 1 cup of cold juice. I added blue food coloring to the juice as well to represent the ocean being blue. Once the juice has come to a boil add it to the cool juice, gelatine and food coloring being sure to whisk well.

I added my gummy fishes to the bottom of an 8x8 pan...


And then poured my blue "Jello" mix over the fishes...


After refrigerating the "Jello" for several hours it came out very firm and easy to cut into squares. The kids had a lot of fun finding the "prize" in their square.






We did manage to complete our Creation books as well. The girls had a lot of fun cutting out and gluing the numbers into their books. Coloring......not so much. They are just not the coloring type I guess.



Over all I think this 10 day Creation week was a hit! I am looking forward to seeing what the rest of the curriculum has to offer!

2 comments on "My Father's World Kindergarten: Creation Week"

jwhit8791 on March 25, 2015 at 11:38 AM said...

Awww, it looks great and you are so organized! Maybe next year I can be like that. We are on week 16 and I am still scrambling to find this and that. LOL

Hope the girls love it. Mr. B likes it but would still rather be playing with legos. Takes after his brother. ;)

Unknown on March 25, 2015 at 4:25 PM said...

Awesome! K is my favorite year!

 

One Mama's Journey Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez