Friday, January 2, 2015

How to Restore A Rusted Cast Iron Pan




I am a big fan of cast iron pans. They heat evenly, get screaming hot, and hold the heat well while cooking. They are also indestructible....I think that is my favorite part. We move constantly and I love knowing I own things that the movers can't destroy. They however are vulnerable to rust. Especially if a certain someone, who shall remain nameless, puts them in the dishwasher. The dishwasher people..... yeah......oh the rust......


So how do you clean a rusted cast iron pan and get it back to looking brand new? Super simple all you need is a potato, salt, and oil/fat.
The process is fairly simple and just takes some time and elbow grease. You simply sprinkle the salt into the pan, cut the potato, and scrub the salt into the pan using the cut side of the potato. As you can see the salt gets really gunky really fast. If needed rinse the salt off and add fresh salt until you have removed all of the rust from the pan.

After you have gotten all of the rust removed from the pan rinse clean and coat with your choice of fat. I used vegetable shortening for my pan.

Once coated heat over low heat for 30min, let cool, and then wipe remaining oil out of the pan. To maintain the seasoning on the pan in the future make sure to rinse the pan after use, dry completely, and then oil the pan immediately.

I am very happy to have my cast iron pan looking like new again. We have also had a spur of the moment science class in our house discussing the effects of water on iron. You have to take advantage of all different types of learning opportunities! Even so I think I will be guarding my pan for quite a while.

2 comments on "How to Restore A Rusted Cast Iron Pan"

The Prudent Homemaker on January 2, 2015 at 7:49 PM said...

Thanks! I need to try this on the outside of my pan. I got a used cast iron pan and the bottom is rusty and left marks in my sink.

Unknown on January 4, 2015 at 7:39 PM said...

You are very welcome :)

 

One Mama's Journey Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez