Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Whole Wheat Pancakes -Pantry Recipe-


Anyone who knows my children knows that we go through a obscene amount of frozen chocolate chip pancakes! Two boxes a week at least and that is being conservative :(
This month we are doing a pantry challenge so no more buying frozen pancakes and lets face it my kids are not going to suddenly start eating oatmeal. So that left homemade pancakes but as a mother of 4 children under 6yrs old I don't have the time to make pancakes from scratch in the mornings. That leaves making my own frozen pancakes. In an attempt to trick my children in to eating healthier I made whole wheat chocolate chip pancakes :) and then froze them individually. They are just as simple to thaw in a toaster and taste wonderful :)

Whole Wheat Pancakes
4c. Whole wheat flour
8tsp Baking Powder
1tsp Salt
4tsp Sugar
4 eggs
4c. Milk
8T Vegetable Oil
Mix all ingredients and make as normal but before you flip for the first time sprinkle with chocolate chips :)
Here they are all done....One batch makes about 40 pancakes.
Then once they are all done place them on a baking sheet and freeze. Once frozen place in a freezer bag and thaw in the toaster when ready to eat.
Of course I couldn't help myself I had to do a cost analysis on homemade frozen pancakes versus store bought.
Homemade: $3.65 for 40
Store Bought: $12 for 40
That is a savings of $25 for one month in our house or $300 for a year!


4 comments on "Whole Wheat Pancakes -Pantry Recipe-"

Sweet Tater on March 11, 2010 at 10:13 AM said...

I always do that when we have leftover pancakes (we usually have four or so, so I just bag 'em and freeze 'em for later. They'll keep a LONG time.) I also do this with reg. biscuits, cheese biscuits, cupcakes (unfrosted), and muffins. :) Baked items freeze very well, so long as you don't try to freeze the icing. I can then just thaw a couple cupcakes and whip up a simple glaze of powdered sugar and milk and a dash of vanilla (and cocoa powder if you want choc.), and wa-lah. Easy stuff. :)

Unknown on March 11, 2010 at 11:29 AM said...

I do it with muffins and bread as well :)

Sweet Tater on March 11, 2010 at 9:40 PM said...

Oh, and you forgot one very important factor--homemade almost always TASTES better. :) That and cheaper are a good combination. :)

Unknown on March 11, 2010 at 9:49 PM said...

Hailey wasn't a fan but Sara ate them like they were going out of style :) Had to cut her off!

 

One Mama's Journey Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez