Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I hate TV


Since becoming a parent I have developed a love hate relationship with my TV. Yes it is nice to have something besides myself keep the kids occupied when I need to be doing something non child friendly but the negative aspects are about to outweigh the positives in my household. As it stands the kids are only allowed to watch PBS on live TV and a few recorded shows off of the other channels. I really like PBS as everything they show is educational my problem is with the commercials. Even with PBS there are commercials for this or that....I feel like I am raising materialistic children and it is starting to get to me. Every commercial that comes on I hear "I want that..." "I want this.." "I can't live without that...." .

I just wish there was a way to edit out the commercials! Wouldn't that be wonderful :) Not that it is going to happen the people who pay for said commercials would put the kibosh on anything that prevents their product from being shown but it is nice to dream :) I am trying to teach my children that there are other things in life than plastic stuff I just wish that the world wasn't working against me!

3 comments on "I hate TV"

bre on March 16, 2010 at 9:55 PM said...

we have a replay tv that my parents gave us. They paid for the lifetime membership, but since these are kind of old you can buy them with the lifetime membership on ebay. They are only around 150.00 if you buy them used, and girl, they are SO worth it. On ours you can save up to 20 hours of programming and set programming to record. When you play stuff back, it is always commercial free.
And since its a lifetime fee, you don't pay for a monthly service. So its much cheaper than the DVRs thru the cable company, and it works if you don't have cable.
Ebay search "replay tv lifetime" They're pretty cheap since they don't work with digital programming. I'm not sure if it works with hdtv, we don't have that in our bedroom.

We are also thinking about skyangel. Have you heard of that?

Sweet Tater on March 17, 2010 at 10:36 AM said...

If you're willing to pay for the larger package on satellite, there's always Nick Jr (used to be Noggin. It is NOT the same Nick that SpongeBob (shudder) comes on). It's commercial free (totally...only ever puts on little counting or shape games or whatnot in between shows.) AND it plays 24/7, so you always have something appropriate for your kids to watch. Of course, we had to go down to a smaller package and lost it (We were paying WAY too much for TV), so now I just use the DVR and DVDs and PBS, too. But I miss Nick Jr. I wish they'd put it on the smaller package. It was nice. (But you know, I always wanted the stuff on tv as a kid, too. LOL And I learned from my mama that you don't always get what you want. :) )

Unknown on March 17, 2010 at 11:31 AM said...

Thanks guys I will have to look into both options :) It just gets so annoying to hear constantly "I want" I am trying to teach them that wants are not needs but you know how that is going!

 

One Mama's Journey Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez