Monday, February 21, 2011

The time it takes to coupon.


Many people I know have told me that they just don't have the time to coupon. It takes to long to look through all the websites, print the coupons, cut them out, and organize them. Plus then there are the newspapers to buy and go through, then more clipping and organizing. I personally do not buy any newspapers, I can get better inserts for free at my local commissary so I will be talking only about the time it takes to do printable coupons.

My kiddos take a 2-3 hour nap every day, those that are too old for a nap have "quiet time". I normally use this time to bake muffins for the next day or catch-up on my vacuuming (one of my little ones is terrified of the vacuum). One day a week however I use this time to do my couponing. Today decided to track how long it took me to get everything done from start to finish.

It took me 2 hours to go through all my websites and get everything printed out, clipped, and organized into my coupon binder. Granted I did take a few timeouts to resettle a little one who didn't want to nap and check my facebook messages. Plus this week I took the time to add up the amounts from the coupons I clipped so I could give you the total. I would say on a day when I have no distractions I could get it all done in a hour and a half, but who are we kidding I am a mother of 4 children 6yrs and under, my life is rarely distraction free.

So this week I printed and organized coupons totaling $67.30 that would be $33.65 per hour. I don't know about you but I think my time is worth $33.65 a hour! Now that is just printing the coupons I will use: the granola bars, yogurts, toilet paper, crackers, etc that we actually use on a weekly basis. Added to those coupons are the ones that we may use: laundry soap, medicine, cleaning supplies, etc. that are normally cheaper when buying a alternate brand. You never know though when something is going to go on sale and be cheaper with a coupon than the product you normally buy without a coupon.

I need to get a picture of my new coupon binder up. I outgrew my previous coupon organizer and had to go to a three ring binder to keep everything organized. My binder is not quite as detailed as The Krazy Coupon Ladies (check out her day 5 for coupon virgins to get her details on her binder), but it works for me.

3 comments on "The time it takes to coupon."

Bekah on February 21, 2011 at 8:09 PM said...

Do they take printed coupons from the internet at the commissaries? I know they did, then they didn't. Then they did...I don't know! I need to come over for a day and let you tell me all of your secrets to saving money! We could be getting out of the Navy in a few months and I need to save as much money now while I can!! I'm going to check the website out. It would be exciting to actually save some money!!

Unknown on February 21, 2011 at 8:11 PM said...

Yep they take printed coupons now :)There was a post awhile back where I listed the coupon printing sites I use. If you can't find it let me know and I will get them to you via email.

Sweet Tater on February 23, 2011 at 11:37 PM said...

My problem is that a lot of the coupons I don't use/need that item/brand. Granted, I still save a good bit with coupons. I usually save at least $20/30 using coupons, but we are brand people. Not the most expensive, and some things don't matter. (I don't just buy for the pretty box.) But some things are just NOT negotiable. Still, though, I do go through and print, cut out and organize before my shopping trip. IT's well worth my extra $20 bucks! Even if I only save $8 or so, that's like a free pack of pullups or a couple packs of baby wipes, or any other various item you want to think of. Totally worth it.

 

One Mama's Journey Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez