Thursday, April 1, 2010

Cloth Wipes


Amazingly enough when you are diapering two babies you need twice as many wipes...shocking I know :) I didn't realize this fact until I started running out of wipes constantly though! I blame it on lack of sleep, lol.
Thinking that it would just be easiest to buy some cloth wipes I started looking at prices and was shocked at how much they are! They charged $1.25 per wipe, for 12 wipes that would have been $15 and that was without shipping charges. I decided to make my own wipes using some 100% cotton hand towels I was able to find on base for $1.99 each. I bought two towels and was able to make 12 wipes for $0.33 per wipe. All it took was breaking out my sewing machine and doing a simple zig-zag stitch around the edge to prevent unraveling. From start to finish it took me about an hour but then I kept getting up to start/restart the diapers in the wash so it probably actually took me half that time.
Now some of you may be wondering where the wipes I have came from to begin with. Years ago when I started cloth diapering Sara Beth I knew nothing about cloth wipes and decided to buy one of those cloth wipes starter kits....yeah huge waste of money! I bought it thinking I needed the cloth wipes solution to put in the wipes box...um...I don't think I used it more than twice. I actually found the still full bottle in a closet the other day when I was looking for something else. For us plain old water works just fine and is much more cost efficient especially when you go through two boxes of cloth wipes a day.

While we are talking about cloth diaper accessories I thought I would also let you all know about my favorite cloth diaper safe diaper rash cream. Northern Essence has a wonderful all natural diaper rash cream. I actually am still using the same cream I bought for Sara Beth on the twins. This stuff lasts forever, smells great, and works wonders on little butts.

1 comments on "Cloth Wipes"

Sweet Tater on April 1, 2010 at 10:38 PM said...

As you know, I use the Bum Genius diapers, and I just buy the Kushies disposable liners and still use Desitin. The boys get MAJOR diaper rash--apparently they are extremely sensitive-skinned, and even as potent as Desitin is, it can still take days to get better. But that works. The liners keep the Desitin off the dilapers, not to mention are great for cloth diapering out shopping...just dispose of the poop-filled liner, and then you don't have that NASTY STINKY DRIED POOP diaper when you get home. But to save money, I don't use them all the time, just when I'm going out or when they have diaper rash. So, one roll can usually last me quite a while. (And I buy several at a time off Amazon so I don't have to pay any shipping.)

As to the wipes, Jason HATES cloth wipes. shrug. So, we still buy the Pampers wipes. If he's going to help (which he does), I kinda' have to let him decide a few things, too. LOL I started making some really cute ones, too, out of my scrap terry and flannel (one on one side, one on the other). I keep meaning to make up some and put on etsy, but I haven't gotten around to it. I'm sure you understand that one! :) Do you think anyone would be interested? They were pretty simple, I wasn't sure they would be, but at the same time figured there might be a market (like me) who wouldn't want to spend a fortune on them, just to wipe bottoms off! :) shrug.

I think your towel idea was pretty good. I've also heard of people making their own disposable ones out of paper towels, but I just never thought those would hold up very well.
P.S. Tell your hubby to call mine...he's trying to get in touch with him.

 

One Mama's Journey Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez